3VA is proud to have recently become the 68th organisation to sign up to the East Sussex Against Scams Partnership (ESASP) Charter pledging to work in partnership with the aim of making East Sussex a scam-free county.
ESASP is a group of local organisations - businesses, charities, clubs, community enterprises, councils, societies, voluntary groups and others - committed to taking a stand against scams. The partnership committed to helping protect residents against scams through raising awareness about the different types of scams.
Scams are fraud and fraud is a crime. They should be reported to Action Fraud, not ignored. Each year scams cost the UK economy between £5 billion and £10 billion. In addition to the financial impact, scams can have a severe emotional and psychological impact upon victims. Anyone can be a victim irrespective of age, gender, education or economic background.
Being a victim of this crime can have devastating impacts upon people. These crimes are targeted at people in our communities who are vulnerable for a variety of reasons, including poverty, isolation, frailty, cognitive impairment, and because they are specifically targeted by organised predatory criminals.
The partnership will:
- Help raise awareness about scams so people realise scams are fraud and fraud is a crime;
- Help prevent people from becoming victims; and
- Find improved ways of identifying and recording scam victims so there is a clearer understanding of the true scale and impact of scams upon our residents.
As a partner, 3VA will undertake actions to take a stand against scams, including:
- Displaying posters and / or literature at the 3VA Hub in Eastbourne;
- Sharing scams-related key messages via our social media channels;
Through these actions, we and our partners aim to help protect our members, stakeholders, staff, volunteers, the general public from scams
If you would be interested in joining 3VA and others in signing up to the Charter, please contact Elaine Bowdery on 01273 335 670 or email email@example.com.